Recipe created by 2016 Glorious Bites Semi-finalist: Mike Hultquist
This glorious appetizer from Mike Hultquist, one of our Austin Glorious Bites 2016 Semi-Finalists, pairs perfectly with our Sonoma Brut sparkling wine. This dish is not only beautiful to look at but it is also bursting with flavor. The pear and citrus notes of the wine pair well with the avocado and lemon in the dish and the floral notes heighten the fresh micro greens and edible flowers that really make this dish pop.
1 stick of butter
5 heirloom grape tomatoes
4 finger link potatoes
¼ cup clam stock
Lemon Juice and zest of ½ lemon
2 sprigs thyme
½ an avocado
1/3 cup micro greens
¼ cup white wine
4 edible flowers
½ cup vegetable oil
salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Boil whole finger link potatoes in water for 10-15 minutes, until mostly soft. Remove and cool. Slice potatoes in half and fry in veggie oil on high heat until golden brown.
- Halve grape tomatoes, season lightly with salt and fresh pepper
- Halve avocado, remove pit, and slice the “meat” into thin strips
- Remove stems and cut edible flower petals into quarters (Optional Ingredient)
- Using a fork and your thumb, press down onto the garlic cloves, until they burst.
- Gently diamond score the scallops on one side with a sharp knife *Note: This side will be seared.
- In a stainless steel sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons butter on low-medium heat. When butter is melted, add scallops scored side down. Press down firmly for 3 minutes. Turn up heat to medium. Allow the scallops to develop a nice char on the scored side – do not burn.
- Turn scallops over.
- Add white wine, thyme, mashed garlic, clam stock, lemon juice, zest of lemon, salt and pepper to taste into sauté pan.
- Gently stir the ingredients for 2 minutes on medium heat, be careful not to move or turn over the scallops.
- Once the ingredients are mixed add remaining butter and allow sauce to thicken and turn slightly brown.
- Plate: Remove scallops from brown butter sauce. Place scallops char side up in a wide, low profile bowl. Add crispy fried potatoes and heirloom tomatoes around the scallops. Remove mashed garlic and thyme leaves from the sauce and pour over the scallops, potatoes and tomatoes. Top each scallop with a slice of avocado. Garnish with micro greens and edible flowers (optional).
Makes 3-4 servings.
* For the best char on the scallops use a stainless steel sauté pan, do not use non-stick.