Recipe created by 2017 Glorious Bites Semi-Finalist: April Timboe of Arkansas
Congratulations to April, one of our four Glorious Bites semi-finalists in Denver.
- 2 tbsp of Seedless cucumber, finely minced,
- 6 whole of Yellow cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup of Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp of Flour
- 1/4 tsp of Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp of Fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp of Tandoori Masala Seasoning
- 16 whole of Jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1 cup of Canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp of Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp of Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of Fresh copped mint leaves
- 1/8 tsp of Fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of Plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup of Red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of White sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt, split use
- 1/4 cup of Thinly sliced red onions
- Add the red onions to a small bowl.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add in the 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, sugar, and red wine vinegar. Heat until boiling and stir until sugar dissolves, then pour this over the red onions and set aside until ready to assemble.
- In a food processor, add in the Greek yogurt, lemon zest, mint, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon juice. Purée until smooth and well blended. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl, add in the canned chickpeas and mash them with a fork. Remove any skins that pop off and discard. Chop the Shrimp into very small pieces and add to the chickpeas. Add in the tandoori seasoning, cilantro, garlic, flour, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Gently stir, mix until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add in the vegetable oil. Heat until hot enough to to fry (375 degrees).
- Form patties out of the shrimp mixture, 2 Tablespoons of the mixture to form a patty. Fry the patties for about 4 minutes total, turning once, until shrimp is done. Be careful not to overlook. Remove to a paper towel to let oil drain.
- Place the shrimp falafel on a serving platter, top with 1-11/2. Teaspoons yogurt sauce, 2 quarters of the yellow cherry tomatoes, minced cucumber, and pickled red onion to liking.
Time: 30 minutes
Makes 10 servings