Recipe created by 2017 Glorious Bites Finalist: Ashley Mincey of Florida
Congratulations to Ashley, one of our Glorious Bites 2017 Finalists.
- 4 oz of pancetta
- 1/2 whole of white onion
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of water
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 16 oz of uncooked, refrigerated Italian pizza dough
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 6 oz of goat cheese
- 6 whole of fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup of quality peach jam
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 oz of microgreens
Prep Time: 16 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes
- To render the fat, add the pancetta to a cooking pan. Then, place it on low-medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions. On low heat, add olive oil and water to the pan and the onions. Begin to sweat (cook on low) the onions. When the pancetta has browned and finished cooking, remove the pancetta. Slowly a dd the rendered fat to the onions.
- Meanwhile, on a floured surface, roll the pizza dough as thin as possible. Stretch the edges using fingertips if needed. Using a 2-2.5 inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Pierce the rounds 4 times with a fork.
- Wipe out any residual crisps from the pan used for pancetta. Add the vegetable oil. Heat on medium-high heat.
- Take the onions out off the heat when completely soft and starting to caramelize. Drizzle with white balsamic. Stir.
- Fry the rounds in the heated vegetable oil. Cook in 2 batches if they don’t all fit at once. Flatten them as needed. Flip them over when golden brown. Remove after 2-3 minutes on each side. Set on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Mix together the goat cheese and thyme. Spread the herb goat cheese on each round. Top with balsamic onions, peach jam, pancetta, and micro greens.
- Enjoy with a few glasses of Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut! Toast and eat!
Makes 16 servings