Congratulations to Ellen, one of our Glorious Bites 2017 Finalists.
- 2 whole of sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
- 1 qt of avocado oil (or your choice) for frying
- 1/8 tsp of saffron threads
- 1 tbsp of hot water
- 1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger, peeled before grating
- 3/4 cup of roasted-garlic mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lbs of dry sea scallops (may need additional 1/4 lb for 12 scallops)
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp of duckfat, divided
- 1/4 cup of micro greens
For the chips:
- Slice sweet potatoes with chef’s knife or mandoline. You will need 12 slices, 1/8 inch thick. Submerge slices in a bowl of cold water, and leave for 5 minutes to release their starch. Drain, rinse and pat dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Heat avocado oil in a deep pan or deep fryer to 365 degrees. Fry potato slices, a few at a time, so as to keep the oil hot, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. As they brown, remove slices and drain on paper towels, then set chips on a rack. Season with salt. Repeat with the rest of the slices.
For the aioli:
- Crumble saffron threads into 1 tablespoon hot water.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine ginger, mayonnaise, mustard, saffron, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and process to combine well. Set aside.
For the scallops:
- Place scallops on prep board and dry well with a clean dish towel or paper towels. Scallops will not brown correctly if they are wet. Combine 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and dust scallops, on both sides, gingerly from above.
- Heat a heavy 10-inch skillet over high heat. When almost smoking, add 1 1/2 tablespoons duck fat. Then add half the scallops in a single layer. Cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes without disturbing.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons more duck fat to the skillet. Use tongs to turn scallops and continue to cook an additional 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove scallops with tongs to plate as they turn golden, and tent with foil to keep warm.
- When first batch is done, wipe skillet with paper towels and repeat process as before with remaining scallops and duck fat.
- Place 3 sweet potato chips on each of 4 plates.
- Top each chip with a scallop, then a dollop of aioli.
- Garnish with micro greens.
- Serves 4 appetizer portions. Recipe may be doubled for 24 passed appetizers.
Makes 4 servings