Recipe created by 2017 Glorious Bites Semi-Finalist: Ariene Eribach of Illinois
Congratulations to Ariene, one of our four Glorious Bites semi-finalists in Minneapolis.
- 1 whole of small cucumber peeled
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp of grated white onion
- 2 tbsp of cold water
- 2 tbsp of fresh dill – divided
- 12 dill sprigs fresh dill for garnish
- 6 oz of cream cheese from an 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 4 tsp of Meyer lemon juice
- 3 whole of radishes, cut into chunks
- 1 whole of large shallot cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp of chopped granny smith apple – unpeeled
- 8 oz of package smoked trout
- 6 whole of hash brown patties from a package of frozen hash brown patties, thawed
- Shred cucumber using a spiralizer. Cut spirals into bite size pieces and place in a small bowl. In a second small bowl, blend sugar with vinegar, water and onion. Pour over cucumber. Toss to combine. Chop 1/2 tablespoon of the dill. Toss with cucumber mixture. Refrigerate covered.
- Place cream cheese, lemon juice, radishes, shallot, granny smith apple and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of dill into food processor. Pulse until ingredients are well combined.
- Flake trout. Place 1/2 contents of trout package into food processor. Pulse until trout is well combined into cream cheese mixture.
- Put waffle iron on highest setting. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Depending on size of waffle iron, place 3 to 6 hash brown patties onto waffle iron depending on size. Close tightly. Bake for 5 minutes or until waffles are crisp. Remove from waffle iron. Pat any excess grease with paper towels. Cut each waffle in half and trim into squares. Discard excess.
- Spread each waffle evenly with cream cheese mixture. Top each evenly with remaining flaked trout. Garnish with dill sprig. Place each waffle on a small serving plate. Using a slotted spoon, place cucumber slaw evenly onto each serving plate.
Makes 12 servings