Recipe created by 2016 Glorious Bites Semi-finalist: Mary Souchek
This glorious appetizer from Mary Souchek, one of our Austin Glorious Bites 2016 Semi-Finalists, pairs perfectly with our Sonoma Brut sparkling wine. This salty and creamy appetizer is a zesty combination. The bright citrus and floral flavors of the Sonoma Brut pair well with this creation.
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 lb peeled, deveined, cooked shrimp cut into 1/4 -1/2 inch pieces
1 tsp olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp corn masa
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt free garlic herb seasoning
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives for garnish
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp hot smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
zest and juice of 1/2 lime
2 oz prosciutto thinly sliced into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place zucchini in a towel, wrap towel around zucchini and squeeze to drain as much excess moisture as possible.
- Heat oil in a small saute pan on medium high heat. Add corn, saute for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Mix eggs, flour, masa, baking soda, seasoning and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Add shrimp, zucchini and corn, stir to combine.
- In a shallow dish mix the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon zucchini mixture in the bread crumbs. Coat with bread crumbs and place in the muffin tin. Continue with the remaining zucchini mixture. Makes about 16 fritters.
- Bake fritters on the middle rack of 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Move the fritters to the upper rack of the oven and turn the broiler to 500 degrees. Broil for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a medium saucepan. Add shallots and salt. Saute shallots for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add paprika, coriander and chipotle pepper, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and ginger. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut each slice of prosciutto into 4 equal pieces,making 16 “chips”
- Place the prosciutto on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in 450 degree oven until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Place fritters on a serving platter, top each fritter with one tablespoon tomato jam, a dollop of crema, a prosciutto chip and sprinkle with chopped chives. Enjoy!