Passionfruit Shrimp on Macadamia Crackers (with cilantro butter)
Recipe created by 2015 Glorious Bites Semi-finalist: Carla J.
Passionfruit is a unique ingredient, especially when combined with spicy wasabi and delicious shrimp. Unsurprisingly it matches the unique personality of our Sonoma Brut. The bright fruit-forward characteristics of this wine match the tang of the passionfruit in a mouthwatering way.
11/2 C roasted macadamia nuts
1/2 Tsp salt (if nuts are salted, reduce added salt to 1/4 teaspoon)
1/4 C All Purpose flour
1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
2 Tsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp onion, minced
2 Tsp freshly grated ginger
1 Garlic clove, peeled, minced
2 Tbsp passionfruit juice
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
12 Medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails off
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of salt
2 Tsp fresh cilantro, minced
1 Tbsp sauce from cooked shrimp
1/8 Tsp prepared wasabi
1/2 A fresh mango, peeled, cut into julienne strips
1 Tbsp minced cilantro
- For crackers, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grind nuts in food processor. Add egg, pulse to blend. Add salt (if using), flour and sesame seeds, pulse again to combine.
- Scoop mixture out onto a piece of parchment paper, sized to fit baking sheet. Lay a second piece of parchment on top of mixture and roll out dough to approximately 1/8-inch thick.
- Remove top parchment, slide bottom parchment with rolled dough onto baking sheet.
- Score dough to form squares or rectangles, not cutting all the way through.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool.
- For shrimp, preheat medium nonstick fry pan over low-medium heat. Add butter. When melted, add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook and stir until fragrant and onion are translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in passionfruit juice and sugar to blend. Lightly salt shrimp and add to pan. Cook 1-2 minutes per side until done. Remove shrimp to side dish, reserving sauce in pan.
- Add vinegar to sauce in pan; simmer until sauce is reduced to about 1 tbsp. Set aside to cool.
- For butter, combine all ingredients and beat well. Set aside in refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Carefully separate cooled crackers along score lines.
To plate, spread a little compound butter on each cracker. Top with a cooked shrimp and a few pieces of mango. Sprinkle with cilantro.