Glorious Lobster Tempura Grapefruit Salad Bowls Dressed With Ruby Red Miso Champagne Vinaigrette
Recipe created by 2015 Glorious Bites Semi-finalist: Jill G.
This lobster grapefruit salad bowl is glorious due to its refreshing tangy and miso vinaigrette taste. The crunchy element of the tempura battered lobster and the crunchy salad provide a unique and likeable factor to this dish. This appetizer works in harmonious melody with our Sonoma Brut! The classic apple and pear notes of this California sparkling works well with the incorporated sparkling wine vinaigrette dressing that ties it all together.
1 Ruby grapefruit (halved and hulled)-grapefruit sections small diced
2 Small persian cucumbers- (small diced)
1/2 C daikon radish (small diced)
1 Thinly sliced scallion (divided in half/ for garnish)
2 Small lobster tails (pre cooked and cut into bite size chunks/almost room temperature)
1/2 C White flour
1/4 C cornstarch
1/4 Tbsp baking powder
Good pinch of table salt
1/2 C cold club soda
1 Qt canola oil (for frying)
1 Tbsp red miso paste
1/2 C ruby red grapefruit juice
1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
1 Tbsp of honey
1/2 Tbsp of sriracha
- Fill a medium size pot with the canola oil. Heat until oil reaches 350-degrees F (check temperature with a candy thermometer).
- While the oil is heating, cut grapefruit in half. Remove the edible grapefruit sections. (set aside). Also remove the membrane and seeds and discard. Small Dice all salad ingredients, combine together and divide between the two empty grapefruit bowls evenly.
- Now, in a large mixing bowl, combine all batter ingredients in the order noted, liquid last. Be sure not to over mix the batter. A thin consistency with very few lumps is what you are looking for.
- Now you are ready to batter and fry. Dip the lobster chunks individually into the batter and then carefully place each piece into the hot oil with a slotted spoon, only 3-4 pieces at a time, do not overcrowd the pot. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes until lightly golden, turning halfway through. Remove and place on paper towel to absorb the oil. Complete this process until all of the Lobster is coated with the tempura batter. (set aside).
- Last, in a small bowl, whisk all Vinaigrette ingredients together well.
- To assemble and serve: Divide the Lobster pieces evenly between the two grapefruit bowls, set on top of the diced ingredients, dress with vinaigrette and garnish with thinly sliced green onion.