Recipe created by 2017 Glorious Bites Semi-Finalist: Veronica Callaghan of Connecticut
Congratulations to Veronica, one of our four Glorious Bites semi-finalists in Boston.
- 1 tbsp of chili infused honey
- 16 whole of fresh sage leaves
- 2 oz of Prosciutto, torn into large pieces
- 4 oz of Manchego Cheese
- 1 whole of apple (Gala, McCoun or similar), sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1 lbs of good quality store bought pizza dough
- 1/4 cup of maseca, masarepa or cornmeal (to dust peel)
- 1/4 cup of Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut
- 1 tsp of flaked smoked sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole of sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone inside to 500 degrees.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a 12 inch skillet. Stir the onions into the skillet, season with the pepper and salt then cook until tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut and continue cooking until all the liquid is absorbed and the onions are a dark golden color.
- Spread a handful of Maseca onto a pizza peel. Place the dough onto the peel. Press or roll the dough into a 12-14 inch circle.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the dough all the way to the edges. Scatter the onions evenly over the cheese. Arrange the apple slices over the onions then sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano and grate the Manchego over all. Top with the Prosciutto and sage leaves, evenly distributing.
- Slide the pizza from the peel onto the preheated pizza stone; bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- Drizzle the honey over the pizza before cutting into 12 slices to serve.
Makes 12 servings