Recipe created by 2016 Glorious Bites Semi-finalist: Becky Ellis
This glorious appetizer from Becky Ellis, one of our Washington, D.C. Glorious Bites 2016 Semi-Finalists, pairs perfectly with our Sonoma Brut sparkling wine. This layered appetizer brings to life different flavors with every bite; all of which pair very well with bubbles. The citrus notes in the wine go very well with the avocado, the layer of crab is complemented by the toasty almond finish, while the third layer of prosciutto is balanced out perfectly by the pear flavors, and finally the roasted pepper and chili sauce are mellowed out by the floral notes in this wine.
Place coupe champagne glasses and appetizer forks in the freezer to chill for service.
Layer 1 (bottom)
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1 tablespoon tequila
Lump Crab meat
1 slice Fried prosciutto, crumbled
Layer 4 (top)
1 roasted red bell pepper, finely chopped
Thai Chili Oil Remoulade Sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon Thai Chili Oil
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3 tablespoons Grey Poupon Harvest Course Ground Mustard
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
3 tablespoons ketchup
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Fried tortilla garnish
Flour tortillas, burrito sized
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- For bottom layer of appetizer: Mash avocado with fork, add whipping cream and tequila and continue mashing until smooth consistency.
- Second layer: Lump crab meat
- Third layer: Fry prosciutto, place some vegetable oil in frying pan and heat until prosciutto is crispy like bacon. Drain fried prosciutto on paper towels.
- Fourth layer: Core pepper and clean out seeds. Broil pepper on baking sheet until brown and blistered all over. Remove pepper from oven and place in a brown paper bag. Allow it to cool. Remove pepper from bag and with a sharp knife peel away the skin of the pepper. Rinse to remove any seeds.
- Thai Chili Oil Remoulade Sauce: Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and process until smooth. Chill until service.
- Fried tortilla garnish: Cut burrito size flour tortillas into 1 inch strips. Place 2 inches vegetable oil in frying pan and heat until sizzling. Roll tortilla strips into spirals and hold spirals in the hot oil (very carefully!) to allow the strips to start cooking and holding their shape before letting go of the strips.
- To serve: Place avocado mixture in the bottom of the champagne glass, top with lump crab meat, then prosciutto, topped with roasted red pepper and Spicy Romoulade Sauce and fried tortilla spiral.
Makes 4 servings.