Recipe created by 2017 Glorious Bites Semi-Finalist: Hidemi Walsh of Virginia
Congratulations to Hidemi, one of our four Glorious Bites semi-finalists in Boston.
- 1/4 tsp of rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of sugar (adjust amount based on how sweet your orange is)
- 1 tbsp of sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup of coconut oil for deep-frying, melted
- 4 tbsp of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 tbsp of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of water
- 8 tbsp of All-purpose flour
- 2 whole of large eggs
- 1 whole of canned (4.25 oz.) crabmeat, drained
- 1/4 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of orange marmalade
- 2 oz of cream cheese, and 4 whole of fresh jalapenos
- Wash jalapenos and pat dry with paper towels. Slice jalapenos into half lengthwise, slice off the top of each jalapeno to make a boat shape. Discard all seeds and membranes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour and water. In a large shallow plate or bowl, mix together panko and coconut flakes.
- Make filling. With your hands, squeeze the crab meat to remove excess liquid. In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, crab meat, lemon juice and orange marmalade. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Put filling into inside of each jalapeno equally.
- Dip stuffed jalapenos into the egg mixture to coat all sides of stuffed jalapenos then coat all sides of stuffed jalapenos with panko mixture.
- In a deep skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Work in batches. When the oil gets hot, fry stuffed jalapenos until all sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat this until all stuffed jalapenos are fried.
- Make dipping sauce. Put orange juice, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, sugar and rice vinegar into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until slightly thickened (about 4 minutes).
- Serve coconut orange crab jalapeno poppers with dipping sauce.
Makes 8 servings