Recipe created by 2017 Glorious Bites Semi-Finalist: Sophia Rubin-Davis of Washington
Congratulations to Sophia, one of our four Glorious Bites semi-finalists in Denver.
- 2 tbsp of Canola oil, for pan-frying
- 1 tsp of salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp of rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp of microplaned ginger
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of sprig of basil
- 1 leaf chiffonade
- 1 whole of easter egg radish, quartered
- 1 whole of apple, half brunoised, half cut oblique
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper, to taste
- 1 whole of zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup of mascarpone
- 2 tbsp of chevre
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 1/2 cup of AP flour
- Combine flour, hot water and a pinch of salt in a bowl until dough forms, knead for 30 seconds, wrap and refrigerate. While dough is resting, combine chevre, mascarpone, lemon zest, black pepper and brunoised apple to create the filling, set aside.
- Combine honey, lemon juice, ginger, rice wine vinegar and toasted sesame seed oil and chiffonade basil to create the dipping sauce, set aside.
- Unwrap dough and generously flour your surface, roll dough into a rectangle 3 inches wide and 1 cm thick. In the center of the dough dollop the filling with 1 inch of space on each side.
- Wet the visible dough with water, fold dough over itself to cover the filling and press together. Cut into individual dumplings and flip them so that the filling is flat on the table. Refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a pan. While the oil is heating season radish with salt, then place in the hot pan with the cut-side down. Sear until browned, set aside.
- Now remove dumplings from refrigeration and sear in the pan. While they are searing, tear the basil and toss it with the seared radish, the oblique cut apple, a pinch of salt and a dash of lemon juice. Remove dumplings from pan and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve dumplings with the radish & apple salad and the honey-ginger dipping sauce (SOS)
Total cooking time: 23 minutes.
Makes 1 servings