Recipe created by 2016 Glorious Bites Semi-finalist: Kadija Bridgewater
This glorious appetizer from Kadija Bridgewater, one of our Austin Glorious Bites 2016 Semi-Finalists, pairs perfectly with our Sonoma Brut sparkling wine. This dish melts in your mouth with flavors of garlic, lemon, and bacon! The toasty finish combined with the citrus notes of the wine blend with the dishes salty and buttery flavors to create an amazing pairing.
4 slices of bacon
2 tablespoons salted butter
2 fresh ears corn on the cob, kernels sliced off
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lemon, zested
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
12 large scallops
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 large white Asian soup spoons
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook bacon slices until crispy, about 7 minutes. Place on paper towel lined plate. Reserve pan.
- In another large pan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels, and cook until slightly golden, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a bowl, combine parsley, garlic, and half of the lemon zest. Mix well.
- Crumble or chop crispy bacon. Stir into parsley mixture to make bacon gremolata.
- Warm chicken broth in microwave for 30 seconds (or in a small pot for 3 minutes). Place cooked corn and warm broth in a food processor. Process until almost smooth to make corn puree. Taste and add 1/8 teaspoon sea salt if necessary.
- Pat scallops dry, and season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat the same pan with bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add scallops in a single layer. Sear until a golden brown crust appears, about 1 and a half minutes. Turn gently and sear on other side for 1 minute to 1 and a half minutes. Remove cooked scallops from pan.
- To assemble, spoon some corn puree onto soup spoons. Top each with a seared scallop. Sprinkle with bacon gremolata.