2011 Carneros Pinot Noir
Here at Gloria Ferrer we set aside a few special places in our estate vineyards for wines like this. Admittedly, a Pinot Geek’s paradise, with roots that go back to the pioneering days of farming Pinot Noir in Carneros. The 2011 vintage is yet another expression, not just of what goes into Gloria Ferrer sparkling wines, but also of what makes Sonoma Carneros such an endlessly fascinating region for Pinot Noir.
User Ratings & Reviews
The nose of this pinot noir has black cherry, cedar and spice. The black cherry continues onto the palate with blackberry, pinot spice and some bramble. Substantial, yet smooth mouthfeel with some light sweet toasty oak. Carries a long finish of cherry and spice.
This earthy and brambly pinot noir pairs outstanding with pan seared duck breast, roasted quail or grilled lamb. The dark cherry flavors found on the palate make it a perfect companion to dark chocolate and toffee deserts. We also suggest trying with a mild soft cheese or a tangy hard cheese and fig compote.
Eleven soil types and a variety of Pinot Noir clones and selections, varied terrain plus the daily effects of cooling summer breezes and morning fog combine to produce exceptional wine from our 335-acre estate vines in Carneros. As our understanding and development of our terroir grows, our estate Pinot Noir gains complexity and consistency. This is the 20th Carneros Pinot Noir we have released.
- 100% Carneros Estate Pinot Noir
The 2011 growing season gave us the smallest yields in the history of our vineyards. Tiny berries plus a small crop provided a high skin to juice ratio that produced generous wines. A long cool growing season provided extra hang time, giving the fruit more time to develop flavor and concentration and substantial mature tannins.
- UCD32, Wadenswil 2A, Dijon 115, Martini 13 and Pommard were the primary clones used for this blend
- Individual vineyard lots were destemmed, partially crushed and cold-soaked for two days to extract color and aromas
- Thrice daily punchdown and pumpover regimes were tailored to each lot to extract fruit character and minimize bitterness
- Made exclusively from free run juice
- Barrel aged for nine months in medium-plus toast 96% French oak barrels, 27% New Oak, and 4% Hungarian
- Bottled unfined
Case Production -
- 7,900 Cases
- pH: 3.76,
- Total Acidity: 0.55 g/100 ml ,
- Alcohol: 13.5%,