2005 Extra Brut
When and only when the conditions are perfect, Gloria Ferrer makes an Extra Brut. And so it was with the 2005 vintage. We took the season’s finest fruit and gave it some extra time and attention in the winery. Only 800 cases were made. But that’s enough to delight our friends, neighbors, guests and club members who love a delicate, almost toasty, sparkling wine experience that reveals its impeccable fruit character subtly.
User Ratings & Reviews
Tasting NotesThis crisp, dry sparkler carries aromas of toasty brioche, preserved Meyer lemon and delicate white flowers. On the palate you are met with bright citrus and green apple, creating a long and lingering finish.
AboutSparkling wine winemakers reverently speak of “Extra Brut” as the ultimate expression of their art and vineyard. Not surprisingly, few are made and only in vintage years. When using a minimal amount of sugar in the dosage, the rewards can be splendid and memorable. At Gloria Ferrer, we start ours with only the first, most gentle pressing of our finest Carneros estate fruit. We increase cellar-aging to over 6 years for this limited production Late Disgorged 2005 Carneros Extra Brut cuvée to enhance its sublime effervescence, tiny bubble trails and delightfully fragrant mousse.
- 67% Carneros Pinot Noir, 33% Carneros Chardonnay
Winemaking2005 harvest conditions began with an early bud break, which in turn led to consistently warm, but not hot conditions throughout the summer months. Several heat spikes alongside a general warming trend later in the season provided for an early harvest, with lower-than-average yields and excellent fruit quality. The resultant wines have a broad range of flavors alongside the equilibrium so inherent to grapes grown in Carneros.
- The cuvée was made exclusively with the first gentle pressing
- Grapes were whole-cluster pressed to minimize extraction of bitter compounds
- Base wines were fermented in stainless steel tanks at 55 to 65°F to preserve delicacy
- Fifteen base wines were carefully blended to create the final cuvee
- This wine takes 7.5 years to develop from the time the grapes were hand picked to the point it reaches your glass.
Case Production -
- 800 cases
- pH: 3.13,
- Total Acidity: 0.75g/100 ml,
- Alcohol: 12.9%,
- Dosage: 12.9%