2001 Carneros Cuvée
That perfect moment when everything just comes together. That’s when the winemakers at Gloria Ferrer decide to make Carneros Cuvée, the ultimate expression of our estate vineyards. The 2001 harvest was one of those moments. The finest fruit was hand selected, blended and aged over ten years. The result is not only a delicious sparkling wine, but also a profound testament to the Carneros region’s rightful place as a world-class wine region.
Wine Spectator November 30, 2013
Wine Enthusiast Magazine’s Advance Buying Guide, November 2013
Double Gold – Best of Class, 2013 Int’l Eastern Wine Competition
Gold – 2013 LA International Wine Competition
User Ratings & Reviews
Tasting NotesA rich and complex nose offers ripe apples and Asian pears that lead to bright berry fruit aromas interlaced with a hint of yeast and toasted brioche. On the palate, this wine is creamy and vibrant with complex layers of baked apple and citrus with perfectly balanced acidity intermingling in a very elegant, vibrant and enduring finish.
AboutThe Carneros Cuvée is our Tête de Cuvée. It represents the best fruit from our 335 acres of estate vineyards as well as our winemaking expertise in the art of blending. This special Cuvée is only produced in a select vintage year. Our 2001 vintage is a blend of Pinot Noir (53%) and Chardonnay (47%), offering a synthesis of effusive ripe fruit expression with superb structure and finesse. With over 10 years en tirage and a minimum of six months on the cork, this decade-old wine is remarkably fresh, rich and complex and represents the ultimate statement of our house style.
- 53% Pinot Noir, 47% Chardonnay
- Sonoma Carneros
WinemakingThe 2001 vintage in Carneros gave us an abundant crop that we thinned heavily. After a dry winter, we received just enough rain in February to bring us to normal levels. After a warm day or two in June, temperatures stayed in the 80s and 90s through the growing season. Harvest was orderly and many vineyard blocks ripened slowly, allowing fruit to ripen fully while maintaining bright acidities.
- 100% hand-harvested fruit
- Grapes were whole-cluster pressed to minimize extraction of bitter compounds
- The cuvée was made exclusively from free-run juice
- The base wines were fermented in stainless steel tanks at 55-60°F to preserve delicacy
- Six base wines were carefully blended to create the final cuvee
- The wine was aged over 10 years on the yeast to develop very complex flavors and a pinpoint mousse
- Tiraged February 22, 2002 • Disgorged May 23rd and May 24th 2012
Case Production -
- 1500 cases
- pH: 3.29,
- Total Acidity: 0.74 g/100 ml,
- Alcohol: 12.5%,
- Dosage: 13.1%