Brie, Apple, and Walnut Quesadillas
Makes 48 hors d’oeuvres
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup walnuts
Seven 7-inch flour tortillas
6 ounces brie
1 Golden Delicious apple
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with the rosemary, salt, and cayenne.
- Combine with the walnuts and toss well.
- Arrange the nuts in one layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let them cool and then chop them coarsely.
- Turn the oven down to 200°F.
- Cut ninety-six 11/2-inch rounds out of the tortillas using a cookie cutter.
- Remove the rind from the brie.
- Peel and coarsely grate the apple.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese on top of 48 tortilla rounds. Top with 1/2 teaspoon of the apple, followed by 1/2 teaspoon chopped nuts, and put another tortilla round on top to make a sandwich.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter in a large nonstick pan over moderate heat until hot. Add half the quesadillas and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Transfer them to a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while you cook the remaining quesadillas in the remaining butter.
Serve the quesadillas hot.